Friday, 5 February 2016

Reactions

I’ve found one of the best things about doing the London Marathon is experiencing the different reactions from various people in my life, especially those who’ve watched my life playout from the very beginning, when they find out I’m doing it. It’s a great feeling telling people something they never expect. If you know me well, then you know that I like to prove people wrong and have been going against the odds from the very start!

One thing I do find when I tell people about my upcoming challenge is that everyone seems to react in the same way. They have a moment of shock and surprise followed by doubt. I then tell them I’m 100% serious and explain how I plan to tackle the challenge ahead. Then there’s a moment of joy and celebration! That’s when I can sense the proudness and support people have for me.

There are definitely some reactions that I will never forget! They will remain with me forever. Part of the reason I created this blog is to document the marathon whirlwind and as something I can look back on. I’ve asked a few of the important people in my life to write down what their thoughts and feelings were when I told them I was going to do the marathon because I don't think I could convey their reactions in writing and do them justice.

Here’s what they had to say:


MY FAMILY

Never did we, as Zoe's family, expect Zoe to say the words 'I'm going to try to do the London marathon'. Our first reaction was shock then fear and finally an overwhelming feeling of immense pride.

Our reactions and feelings have gone from the sheer joy at seeing her try her best to turn her dream to participate into a reality to the day we enter the sports shop to purchase her first proper pair of trainers. That was something we never thought we would be doing with Zoe. We feel so emotional seeing her working so hard to walk and then we watch her check her tracker data to see how well she's doing. We then find ourselves grinning so much it hurts, when we hear her talking to others about this challenge and her desire to fundraise. It's totally amazing.

We feel so proud to call Zoe our daughter and sister. She's a very special young lady.

MY GRANDPARENTS

When Zoe announced to us that she intended to enter herself to try and complete in the London Marathon we were shocked and worried for her but not surprised.

Zoe has, throughout her life, met all the challenges that life has presented to her with great courage and a beautiful smile. We are very proud of her courage in taking on this difficult challenge and we will support her in any way we can.

Zoe inspires us every day with her courage and determination to overcome all obstacles however difficult. We love her very much and wish her well in completing her challenge.

See you at the finish line!

MY BEST FRIEND

When Zoe first told me that she was doing the 2016 London Marathon, the first thought that crossed my mind was that there was no way that she could do it. I thought of every reason why she couldn’t do it. I think I even tried to convince her that she couldn’t do it! But I never took the time to think about why she could do it. She has defied expectations from the moment she was born, so why could she not do it again? Why would she not be able to do exactly what she set out to do?

Once I got over my doubt and realised that, like always, Zoe would 10,000% be able to do this, I was really proud of her. Don’t get me wrong, I was proud when she first told me, but I thought she was overestimating herself. Now I am proud of her for continuing to defy expectations and the stereotype she faces from society; from people like me for doubting her just because of her condition. I am proud because I know she is going to put everything she can into doing what she has set out to do, and more than likely will succeed.


Zoe is the strongest person that I know. She has been through a lot in life, and I know that a 'little' marathon will not stand in her way. I know it, she knows it, and everyone who knows her knows it. She is an inspiration to me and I can’t wait to see how fast she is able to do this. I am lucky to have her in my life, and I hope that she keeps up the good work in training and continues to make me and everyone else proud.

TEAM SPARKS

When Zoe told us that she was going to do the London Marathon for Sparks, we felt overwhelming pride! Having seen her grow into this determined young lady, there was never any doubt that she'd achieve this and do it with a ready smile and mountains of enthusiasm despite the challenge that lies ahead. We knew it would be all hands on deck to ensure we can give her the best help and advise to do it as well as spread the #ZoesMarathon word. Zoe really is an inspiration to us all at Sparks and we are thrilled that in our 25th year, she will be joining our biggest ever marathon team. She will definitely inspire all our other runners too! 

GO FOR IT ZOE!! We're supporting you all the way. 

Don't forget, you can sponsor me here!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever people say and think life is about how we deal with all the good and bad that comes to us all. It is how we deal with the bad that defines us and shapes our character. I have watched you grow from strength to strength through all your adversity. You are a credit to your wider family, no more so than your own and yourself. If the rest of us had real honesty, we would probably feel some shame as we mostly take life for granted, busily ferreting our own nest and rarely looking over our shoulder at those in need. You are truly an exception. You help and support those who like you, need that thought, care and love. What an inspiration you are. You have grown up and defined yourself to be a beautiful person with strength of character that will carry you through life. Running a marathon epitomises everything that is Zoe. You know I am not a great one for sharing my feelings but how you are as a person and what you are doing makes me very, very proud. You’re a winner already. Go for it ZOE

    ReplyDelete