Accepting my marathon place was a big moment for me. My family watched on with pride and support as I clicked to accept my place. This was the
point in which I was fully committing to the enormous physical challenge.
Originally, the talk about me undertaking the marathon began with the idea that I would be pushed in my wheelchair by James and Alex. They would push me the main part of the 26.2 mile course. Then I would walk the last part down the mall, supported by James and Alex and get to experience the amazing finish line along with the other participants. Sadly we found out this isn't possible. I was worried that, without using a wheelchair, I wasn't going to be able to do this amazing event at all.
James and Alex weren't going to let this hurdle get in their way though! They immediately tried to offer every style of support to make it happen, even
carrying me! We discussed the bigger, scarier challenge of me attempting to walk the course if I trained hard. They were very reassuring and told me
to think about the challenge and there was no pressure if I did think it was just going to be too much. They were running it for Sparks anyway so the charity that's important to me gets the much
needed funds. Extremely gratefully, and a little bit scared, I accepted the challenge
to walk it! I was so moved that they were truly trying to help make my dream
come true. I really wanted the chance to try and I wanted to work as hard as I
could so that everyone supporting me would know I'm prepared to do my best. As
my friends have said 'theses guys are the real deal!' With them beside me, encouraging me, I feel supported and
safe.
Their amazing determination to explore other options meant
so much to me. They didn't just give up on me or walk away. Instead they
reassured me that they'd do whatever was needed to make sure I complete the marathon. They have offered to
be there alongside to support me every step of the way. They are dedicating their time, ideas and physical presence to me - an amazingly generous offer from two very
busy men!
So many people in my life assume I can't do things and make judgements about my limitations without even asking me. Their approached was so refreshing. I feel they really want me to succeed. I really want to succeed so we really are a great team!! Roll on the training!!
So many people in my life assume I can't do things and make judgements about my limitations without even asking me. Their approached was so refreshing. I feel they really want me to succeed. I really want to succeed so we really are a great team!! Roll on the training!!
No comments:
Post a Comment