Its a lot for
anyone to prepare to participate in such a physical challenge like the London
Marathon. Having cerebral palsy means that I always have to put a lot more
consideration into what I do then most other people. The London Marathon is no exception! Here are the various things we've done to make sure I'm as prepared as possible:
Discussion Meeting
After discussing
the challenge with the team it was decided that in order to
actually complete this event I would split the Marathon over a number to days. We worked out that if I attempted to walk 5 miles each day, it's like an
able bodied person completing a marathon. We've set out a plan
that I try to walk five miles a day for five days, in order to complete the
full distance of the marathon.
Medical Meeting
It was essential
we had a meeting with my doctor, who has been treating me since I was little, firstly
to tell him the news that I wanted to & had the opportunity to take part in the London Marathon and secondly to work out how to do it without doing myself harm. I was very nervous about having this meeting with him. I didn't want him to tell me I couldn't do it. Much to my surprise and total relief he seemed
overjoyed by the news and chatted about how amazing the London Marathon is. I
could tell that he was genuinely pleased and excited for me by the enormous
smile of his face. Once a few finer details about the challenge were discussed,
he actually ended the meeting by saying he was very proud of me. He said he wanted to be kept informed, would be happy to talk to
anyone that needed his input and even said he would want to
sponsor me! I left that appointment on a real high as it felt so positive and
made me really believe that this challenge is something I can try to do.
Kit Required
I asked for a lot of advice before I purchased any kit. It all seemed so unreal that I needed information of sports gear because I had never enjoyed sport as I found it extremely
difficult. The first thing I needed to buy was trainers that are suitable
for a marathon. I had never had to buy trainers like this before so it was a whole new experience for me. My team
mate Alex kindly offered to take me along to Runners
Need, a specialist running shop, who'd be able to help. After Alex explained what I
required and he explained the way I walked to the people in the store, the real
process began. First thing I had to do was walk slowly on a treadmill whilst
filming my feet. They then put the footage though software that analysed my walk which helped them to determine the correct style of trainer that could fully support my
feet to avoid injury. Then I was able to try on several different shoes to decide the size and best fit. Then came
what I thought would be the easy part, picking the pattern and colour! There
were so many different choices that it was almost impossible to chose! These trainers make a real difference, I can feel the support and comfort. I also need to wear supportive splint and orthotic insoles that are
manufactured by my orthopaedic specialist.
![]() |
| My trainers |
Trainers done, now it was time for clothes. After discussing with various
people of all ages, I bought clothing for
all weathers. I have learnt whilst training that layering is the key.
Another very
important item I would need was a fitness activity tracker so I could track my progress. I did a lot of research on the internet reading articles
and watching YouTube reviews. I finally chose the Misfit Shine 2. The
Shine 2 tracks my distance, steps, calories, setting daily target and goals. It's particularly helpful as its sync with my iPhone so my daily data is recorded
and it buzzes if I'm not on task!
Equipment Required
One piece of
equipment that I have found extremely useful is the treadmill my parents
bought as I can train at home and it enables me to walk on a flat even
surface at an appropriate speed.It really helps the strengthening of my muscles.
I also use a
static training bike to help with my posture and try to build the muscle
strength in my legs. Using the static bike is really difficult as I am trying
to use a lot of my weaker muscles.
![]() |
| Out training with my dogs |
Training
I start my day
with my usual Physio
programme, which is needed because
cerebral palsy makes my muscles extremely tight plus it also helps to warm them up. After breakfast I walk
three or four laps of my garden path. At some point in the
day I try to take my two dogs for a walk
for about 45 minutes. I also track my daily activity using the data received
from my tracker to remind myself what's needed. It feels really good as this week I've managed to hit my daily target twice. It's a big improvement & a real achievement! I have felt a lot of
muscular discomfort so I have days of rest filled with bathing Epsom salts (which I am told is good for
muscle aches) while reading my copy of a runners magazine that my mum has
subscribed us to!
Good Luck to all
those training, its not easy!
YOU CAN SPONSOR ME HERE


You are exceptional good luck x
ReplyDelete