![]() |
| With my doctor, Nick Merrifield |
A
lot of people that know me as I am today don't know the struggles I've had growing
up with a disability but I've had 18 years to figure out the best
ways to deal with and work around my condition. Through the years, I've found
many ways to adapt situations that I might find difficult and make them situations I can
handle. I've worked out these adaptations through a lot of trial and error as
well as using what I call 'life hacks when you have a disability'
Many
people who don't have a disability or know somebody with one, will not
understand or consider the daily struggle just to get out of bed and leave the
house. Not only do I have to perform a daily physio routine just so I can stand
up and function each morning, I also have to pre-plan my day and consider certain
things that I might struggle with and find ways to work around them. For example, I struggle to get a bus or train, which most people wouldn't even need to think
about.
When
doing anything I always have to consider my physical capabilities. My friends can just decide to do something or go somewhere and it's not always that easy for me. This is why for my
upcoming challenge there had to be a lot of meetings, discussions and
doctor's appointments before I could officially agree to participate in the
London Marathon 2016. I have a
very dedicated team to help me complete my challenge with success and I have a
great support network to help me through my challenge.
For
this blog, I thought you would like to hear from somebody who has been involved
in my story for many years. He has a good insight to me, my condition and
just how hard my challenge really is going to be. Dr Nick Merrifield is my local GP and I see him most often out of all my doctors and surgeons. Nick has very
kindly offered to comment in support of my enormous challenge that I am
trying to undertake for 2016.
Here are Nick's thoughts on my London Marathon 2016:
Here are Nick's thoughts on my London Marathon 2016:
"I
have known Zoe for a number of years and have seen the ups and downs which inevitably come with her condition; cerebral palsy. She has borne them with
strength, dignity and hope for the future which is remarkable given that every
day life for her can be more physically and mentally draining than most of us
will ever experience. I have heard a little about her work with Sparks over the
years and it is not a surprise at all that she has been such an inspiration to
so many other children and young people with serious illnesses such as she has.
When she told me about the marathon idea I was a little nervous, given she
sometimes can look like she can struggle to walk to my office from the waiting
room! Despite this, I have never doubted her huge determination and spirit and
after hearing how she has managed to obtain support from professional
paralympic trainers, Team Sparks and Team Deutsche Bank (huge credit to them
too!) then I'm sure she is unstoppable. We are all behind her at Holmwood
Corner Surgery and hope that plenty of the patients see the posters and sponsor
her too."
I am
grateful for the support being given to me by so many. Not long to go now, 44
days and counting!
Please sponsor me here
Please sponsor me here


No comments:
Post a Comment